Friday, August 7, 2009

Cheese Freak

Most of you know how much I love potatoes, and CHEESE ranks right up there as one of my favorite foods. I was craving Irish farmhouse cheese, but besides being hard to find it costs more than I care to pay. Since Kroger had milk on sale this week I thought it was the time to make it myself.

I have used George’s mom’s recipe before and thought it was great and simple - both in the ingredients and technique. Ever watch “Ham on the Street”? That’s the George I’m talking about. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/george-duran/georges-moms-homemade-herb-cheese-recipe/index.html

Two summers ago I gathered or made my cheese-making supplies. For one gallon of milk, a whipped topping container is perfect. I used the electric drill to get drainage holes in the bottom (if you do this, be sure to remove all the plastic particles - you might have to use a very sharp knife to do this).


I purchased a package of cheesecloth, cut off about a 36” long tube and tied one end closed. That might seem very long, but I found that length necessary to completely cover my colander so I wouldn’t have to worry about it slipping as I poured in the curds and whey.


On my electric stove, using milk and half and half directly from the refrigerator it took slightly over an hour to reach 195 degrees. I tend to be impatient and those last 15 degrees seemed to take forever. I wish I had an “instant read” cooking thermometer - I use a meat thermometer that I have to hold in place until the needle stops moving.


Curdling takes place quickly. I’ve learned to add my ingredients (today I used fresh basil from the garden and one freshly minced clove of garlic) while it it still easy to stir.
Then I slightly squeezed it.


After flipping it around in the cheesecloth tube so the “knot” wouldn’t leave a lasting impression, I placed it in my “cheese press“. I have a small bowl that is slightly smaller than the container and then put something heavy on it. After about an hour of draining, it “ages” overnight in the refrigerator.

Finished product; DELICIOUS! ~~K

3 comments:

  1. wow that's beautiful...i might have to dabble in cheesemaking soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really really good, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not too long ago I read about cheese making; I think it was in "Food, Vegetable, Miracle". The whole process seems to intriguing to me. I do have a question: How is the smell when the curdling takes place?

    ReplyDelete