Monday, December 9, 2013

Pretzels from Scratch

Finally! For years I've thought about making pretzels from scratch - today's snow/ice school cancellation day ended up being the day.

Mixed by hand, then 5 minutes with Kitchen Aid dough hook set at 4.


Divided into 8 somewhat equal chunks.

Hardest step - rolling into strips that were supposed to be 28-30 inches long!
Shaping and soaking in baking soda water.
Baked at 475 degrees F for 7 minutes - not according to the recipe but I know the quirks of my oven after too many burnt adventures! Picture taken before butter coating.
I think even the bottoms look nice!

Recipe source: 
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/hot-buttered-soft-pretzels-recipe
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/hot-buttered-soft-pretzels-recipe




~~K


2 comments:

  1. Yum! Those look great! What's your sauce? Mustard or cheese? Mustard all the way for me:o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheese dip (Aldi's in a jar) in photo, but i'm on the fence and have to alternate - one bite cheese, one bite coarse brown mustard (Aldi's again)! I need to experiment making these up to the point of baking and see if I can freeze them after the baking soda bath. Might be a nice Christmas or Superbowl snack.

    ReplyDelete