Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Bear’s Bounty

Thanks for the fresh produce!

Zucchini Herb Whole Wheat Bread made in the Toastmaster Bread Box 1142 I’ve borrowed from my sister (recipe in the manual) was a nice change from so many zucchini breads I’ve eaten that seem like a banana bread exchanged with the squash.

It’s a bit misshapen but its texture and taste are smooth, mild, and subtle. I’m sure the honey, basil, and sesame seeds were key ingredients. Sliced thin I even think it would make a nice sandwich. Of course I had a slice for breakfast; and BEB took a slice to have with soup for lunch.

What a refreshing change to have pickle cucumbers rather than the large green ones usually found at market! I’ve been hungry for bread and butter pickles…and found the easiest, quickest small batch recipe ever: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Microwave-Pickles/Detail.aspx Thankfully, all necessary ingredients were already in my pantry!

Even right out of the microwave (yes, it’s a microwave recipe) they had the correct “smell”.
When they were cool enough to put in the jar I had a most delicious slice - crispy, tasty - yummy!

They’re supposed to chill for 4 hours when they’ll be even better - I doubt if there will be any left in a week which is the minimum “setting time” for most bread and butter traditional pickle recipes.
~~K

3 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by the bread. Was it in my Mom's toaster oven book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. my mouth is watering looking at the jar of pickles

    ReplyDelete
  3. The recipe was in the manual for Aunt R's breadmamker.

    ReplyDelete