Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Love the Library

Internet Junkie? Of course I am. But I’d have a rough time without the library. I still love the printed word that I can hold in my hand. At times, it even awakens me as a book drops to my chest when I’ve fallen asleep reading in bed.

My latest endeavor – machine quilting – has put my library system to the test. My local library has a limited selection; my county library is a bit better; but the state system of cooperating libraries is fantastic. Searching “machine quilting” let me choose from 287 books! Here are some I’m currently perusing:
As long as a book is not on the hold list and I’m first in line for the request, I usually can pick up the book at my local library in about three days. It sometimes surprises me how many other people have requested the same book before me.

I’m a visual/tactile learner and need the true feel of a book so I can “absorb” the information.
After reading until I have a good grasp of the concept, I “air” practice – you know, like air guitar playing – I even tell my students “air keyboarding” is helpful typing practice.


Next comes a simulation – such as machine quilting on paper. Then on to the REAL DEAL!


Each new pattern requires me to step back and go through my learning process again. Time consuming? Sometimes. But usually very rewarding.

Go check out a library book! ~~K

3 comments:

  1. You don't have to convince me - I'm already a library junkie! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto on Brooke's comment! Between myself and the boys I just take a large empty tote bag with me to the library at least once a week! (And you gotta love Ohio Link!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I miss the library, especially this time of year. Luckily we have one of the biggest in Africa here, but it still doesn't compare to Ohio Link! Nothing like taking in a pint at Dale's or the Idiot after a long session at the Maumee Branch.

    ReplyDelete