Saturday, May 22, 2010

SRM Quilts – Progress Report 1

WOW! What a stuffed bag of goodies to use for practice quilting – and piecing.


I know the grey/hippo quilt top should have been addressed first, but the Cars book was calling my name.


For some reason the moment I saw it I knew exactly how I wanted to put it together. First there was quite a bit of trimming and squaring to end up with twelve 7” x 9-1/2” rectangles. Cutting the 3-1/2" sashing and small squares was then quite easy. It’s not finished yet, but here are the blocks as they look on my kitchen floor:

Due to the rectangle proportions this needed a landscape layout, so it is a bit non-traditional in appearance. Unfortunately these Cars haven’t told me what quilt design to use yet.


But the lions were rumbling, “work on me” – instead of calling it the hippo quilt top I call it the “lion” one since I seem to see more lions than hippos.

Free-motion quilting is what I need to practice and the lions were agreeable. It was a challenge getting the top “almost” square and laying flat. A piece of V’s quilt batting seems to be a low-loft polyester and is fine for this Quilt for Kids. Quilting isn’t finished yet, but here’s a sampling:

More projects in the SRM bag will have to wait until I finish these two – unless an inspiration for their completion hits me and can’t be quelled. ~~K

1 comment:

  1. They looks great! Glad you were able to salvage the "lion" top w/ all its wonkiness! I'm laughing that you are calling them SRM quilts :)

    ReplyDelete