Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Third Time’s the Charm

Free-Motion Quilting Part 6 of ?

Finally, I successfully machine quilted in true free motion technique that meets my standards. On the third Quilt for Kids I used a continuous curve in the four-patches and medium stippling in the larger squares and outer border – and all without any marking on the fabric! All that practice was worth it.

Final size after washing; 39.5" x 34.5"

What a time-saver by not having to pre-mark the fabric! I’ll admit there are quite a few “quilted” 8-1/2 x 11 sheets of paper in the recycle bin. Visualizing the “pattern” and then doing it on paper at the sewing machine seems to give me the confidence and necessary muscle memory. Every activity seems to need its own specialized warm-up session (running anyone?).


Now I want to start practicing some other free-motion designs – perhaps connected hearts, maybe even loops.

Anyone have a pieced top I could use for practice? I need to get busy piecing, but I just want to “quilt”! ~~K

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I'll start hiring you out to do my quilting. (Really I just need to practice myself!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time you're up north we should get together for a mini quilting bee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I'm in a for a quilting bee!

    Your quilt looks great!!

    ReplyDelete