Friday, January 9, 2009

Great Lakes Crossing

Years have passed since D and I were at Great Lakes Crossing in Auburn Hills, so we took a round-about drive up there last Saturday. I say round-about because of the construction on I-75 – thanks to our Garmin GPS Nuvi, we had a pleasant venture through residential neighborhoods, especially the Orchard Lake area. I don’t think I would be able to retrace our route, though.

I forgot that TJ Maxx and Marshall’s were anchors and had a great time looking through their deals. We spent about 5 hours shopping (picked up a few presents and stocking stuffers for next Christmas). Instead of going back to the car and unloading before continuing our trek we took advantage of the lockers (a very nice convenience item in nasty weather).

Not that many unusual shops, but still enjoyable. I did get interested in security – as I tried to get my camera out of my zipped purse, the security guard meandering on the Segway was almost out of site before I was ready to snap – I had never seen one of those people movers in action.
At the half-way point, it was time to decide where to eat. Our last meal there had been at Game Works since the RainForest Café was so busy. Today our timing was perfect since we were willing to eat sheltered under the “mushroom bar” rather than on the main floor. I thought the frog stool was a bit out of place with the other “animals”.
We had a great view looking out through the rain dripping over the edge of the mushroom.
I guess I became so engrossed in the biome and my meal (chicken-fried steak) that I forgot to take any “food” pictures.
We were there over an hour and sat through three thunder "storms" complete with lightning before continuing our indoor venture – I'm sure we walked several miles. A very enjoyable and productive “day trip”. ~~K

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome day trip! I have never seen one of those people movers before. I guess they need them in such a huge mall!

    The Rainforest Cafe is such a fun place! Not many restaurants have thunderstorms inside...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun trip!!!

    City mail delivery people downtown have those people movers! Aren't they surreal?

    ReplyDelete