Tuesday, January 20, 2009

New Menu Item

I had the most beautiful, delicious lunch. Of course you recognize the whole wheat tortilla, celery, carrots, red pepper, and hard-boiled egg. But the glob in the center?
It’s a beet and walnut puree. The recipe is from “Spain…On the Road Again” but I improvised a bit:

1 handful walnuts
1 can sliced beets, drained
1 drizzle olive oil
no water
1 regular small spoon of tahini
1 long squirt of lemon juice from the “fake’ lemon
1 full twist of fresh sea salt

I started by pulsing in the food processor but there must not have been enough substance, so I switched to a different container and used the immersion blender – it worked great! It made just a bit over 1 cup. I’ll definitely make this again – I’ll use it in place of hummus now and then – I can see spreading it on the tortilla, chopping everything else to sprinkle on top, then rolling it and eating it as a wrap. ~~K

3 comments:

  1. It sounds delicious! I love the way you "decorated" your plate! I've learned that Zoe will eat just about anything if you turn the plate into a smiley face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so gorgeous! Your beet puree looks like purple hummus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to try that - maybe I can trick Mike into eating beets. I just saw black bean "humus" in a magazine the other day; I'll have to give them both a try!

    ReplyDelete