Monday, January 12, 2009

Too Many If’s

If it’s warmer than 30
If it’s cooler than 80
If the wind is calm
If the road isn’t snowy/icy/slippery
If it’s not during a thunder storm

I’ve tried running in the cold and wind, but it only proved I’m a fair weather outside runner. I thought my “rule” would be to run when it was no colder than 30 degrees F. I then adapted that to say the wind chill temp couldn’t be lower than 30. While running Dec 27 in 60 F with 25mph wind (in NW Ohio) it was difficult just walking into the wind much less doing a RUN (my knees really felt the extra effort). I then had to make an addendum to my rule – the wind can’t be greater than 15mph. I think this should apply even in hot weather as I recall some warm breezy runs!

There have been some exceptions: I’ve been known to run when it was 86 and B and I had an enjoyable run during a light rain (it was raining even before we walked out the door).

Notice my great Christmas presents I’m wearing to help me be safe and comfortable during my runs – snuggly fleece and a wrist heart rate monitor!

Saturday I ran 3.1 miles on our home treadmill, but slowly – it took almost 35 minutes. My warm up was .25 mile and the cool down was another .25 mile. I need more confidence and balance to not hold on.


I finally made it to the Y today after school. 3.125 miles around the track – I walked a minute after each mile, but did each mile between 10’30” and 11’00” – I used my headphones with music and tried to keep the beat so it should have been 6 mph – I’m trying to get faster, but not experiencing much success yet. ~~K

3 comments:

  1. That's the screwy thing about running! My if's are actually Did I?: Did I drink enough water the day before? Did I bring tums with me (for some reason running gives me horrible heart burn!) Did I bring my no-slip headband? So many things can ruin a run!

    The main difference I've seen is that I don't have the wind that you have! City living, I guess. Also, I have two motivated dogs that would drag me if I didn't run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! What a beautiful fleece!:) It fits you nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to go along with your "DID I's"! Also: Did I not eat too much too soon before the run?

    I don't get heartburn, but I usually always feel bloated after I run. My stomach even seems distended - I think I might be sucking in and swallowing too much air.

    I think city running and with a dog might help me be more consistent.

    ReplyDelete