Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Where’s the Beef?

In the freezer and in our tummies!
I bought a whole center cut round roast for $1.99 a pound the other day. I realize it’s a bit of a tougher cut of meat, but at that price I thought it might add some variety to our menu. I cut off two “steaks”; D grilled them in the stove’s oven since the weather is so yucky, they were tasty, but not tender.

The rest is now in the freezer.
I cut off a hunk for a crock pot roast; cut some up into chunks for a crock pot stew; and it’s been years since I’ve made Braciole so I sliced some thin, later I’ll pound those slices flatter, stuff it, roll it, and cook it in the crock pot with some spaghetti sauce. Hopefully the slow cooking in the crock pot will tenderize the meat. ~~K

3 comments:

  1. Looks great! What is that next to your steak? A twice baked potato?

    I can't wait to see your Braciole! Sounds awesome! I love how everything gets tender in the crock pot...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummm! That looks delicious! So cool how you can make so many different meals with one cut of meat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that is a twice baked potato. I supplemented the real potato with Potato Pearls with skin.

    ReplyDelete