Thursday, March 5, 2009

Almost a “Jillian”

...as in a hard workout

I pushed myself about the hardest ever – almost to the “puke-point” Jillian requires, but I held my own, took a few deep breaths, swallowed, and recovered. I felt I had to break the 30 minute barrier for the upcoming 5k, and that I needed to do that early this month – I did it Wednesday in 29’10”. I’m not sure when I’ll run a repeat performance and I also know it is a bit “false” since it was on the Y’s treadmill and I was holding on. But it still feels good.

I continually watched "the numbers" while listening to a 164 bpm set from Podrunner called "Electric Beach". This music kept me true to a 6.4 mph pace - it will be interesting to see if it will help me run that pace on the road. You might want to check out some of the other free podcasts here: http://www.djsteveboy.com/mixes.html


My goal is to be able to run the 5k in about the number of minutes that is half my age. Since I’ll be 58 on May 2 and the race is April 26 I think I’d be on target with that 29’. ~~K

3 comments:

  1. 29'10?! You rock!!! Congrats on such an awesome run. Jillian would be proud :). (Do you want a couple of my gels?) I'm getting excited/nervous about April 26...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea Mom! That's when you know you are giving it your all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the gel offer, but no thanks. For that short of a run I think I'm ok. I usually eat 1/2 a Zone bar between school and the Y, and for some reason I didn't yesterday (but I have been good about drinking my full bottle of water at school each day).

    ReplyDelete