Tuesday, April 21, 2009

35th Wedding Anniversary

Saturday was a day for celebration – in our own way. D and I don’t put too much weight on the “number” of our anniversary, since we have always considered ourselves to be committed to each other forever!


We started the beautiful day with our favorite weekend morning activity – reading the newspaper together in the living room while drinking coffee.

As it became warmer outside we were drawn to yard work. After about 3 hours, I was picking up 5-foot logs D had cut and I had a mishap. I stepped on the end of one of the logs and it catapulted into my face! My shocked reaction to the surprise and pain made me think I might have broken my nose and some teeth. Upon closer inspection, after clearing all the blood, I only experienced a lot of bruising with a cut above my lip and a puncture next to that. Thanks to ICE my swelling is minimal with no black and blue as I write this on Tuesday after the fact. I’m concerned about running, since the jarring is quite uncomfortable to my face now.

One of our anniversary plans had been to geocache. BEB was in town to join us, and I was feeling OK. There were three cemetery caches near Custar that I figured we could tackle (including travel time) in about 90 minutes. We were successful!

Our first stop was as St. Louis Catholic Cemetery. We found the design of many of the tombstones interesting. Etchings just about covered the markers on both sides – there were pictures of the people (many not yet dead), their homes, tractors, names of all their children, and a lot of other clutter (note I said they were” interesting”, not that we liked them).

The geocache was an easy find, but a true level 3 terrain difficulty. D joked that he needed his “Everest” climbing gear and Sherpa Guide! But at least he was glad it was as dry as it was to prevent major slipping. We took an eraser and left a Celtic stone.

We then moved on to Milton Twp Cemetery. As we approached we were intrigued by the strange pruning job on the trees along the cemetery – they were all flat-topped – they almost looked like the shape of a wine glass (sorry, no picture). This was another beautifully maintained area – all bushes had been trimmed recently; all the tombstones (no matter their age) had been weeded and dug around – we haven’t noticed many cemeteries that do this consistently. Again, the cache was a quick find by BEB – she took a plastic good luck token and left another of our Celtic stones.

Interesting OLD tombstones (some with quite a “lean” on them) and a fun, quick find met us at Richfield Cemetery. The terrain difficulty of this one was a true 2.5 with a tricky placement. Another of our Celtic stones was left as we took a poker chip.

After we got back home, I was a bit out of sorts (my face and mouth were hurting and swollen) so you’ll need to visit B’s blog to see our “food”.

Later in the evening B & Z came over – primarily to deliver a present to us. But of course we all had a great time visiting. As we sat outside the conversation was all over the place – music, movies, etc. What fun!

Look at the great paint job Z did on my toes! It’s sometimes difficult to do my own feet; and today was definitely one of those days. Z proceeded to do BEB and BMA – for some reasons D didn’t want his toes polished.

D and I were planning on going to Biagi’s in Levis Commons on Sunday for a bit of a celebration, but I didn’t feel like it – we’ll do that another day!

What a wonderful anniversary, with hopes of many more! ~~K

3 comments:

  1. Your daffodils are beautiful!

    Happy 35th anniversary - so glad I could spend it with you and dad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "don’t put too much weight on the “number” of our anniversary, since we have always considered ourselves to be committed to each other forever!"

    That says it all for me; that's a great piece of marital advice! Regardless, 35 is something to be proud of! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete