Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Barbecue Times Two

...in the same week

I’ve just realized, I’m a “barbecue snob”! I expect a certain flavor in a barbecue sauce, and if I don’t taste those flavors, it won’t get my stamp of approval (even if it is from a top-rated restaurant).

#1 - Montgomery Inn
On our way back from visiting K&J in KY we stopped in Cinci to say hi to L (she had to move there for her GS job). It had been years (when I worked in market research) since I had eaten at The Montgomery Inn; and we had just talked about it over the weekend as we were eating a bag of potato chips from there.

It’s more of a sports bar now than I had remembered, but nicely decorated. I couldn’t resist this dim inside shot – D & I had watched “Pete” and the Reds a lot in the 70’s.

Delicious “croutons” with the salad were crispy slices of bread – I think they did everything to make “homemade” croutons except breaking the bread into bites.
At a rib joint bibs are in order!

Obviously I got so into enjoying the food and company that I forgot to take a picture of the entrée until my plate was almost empty. The food was good, I just wouldn’t rave about their sauce – it tasted too much like an extra spicy ketchup to me.


Sorry – this outside shot was an afterthought – and it’s too dark! Montgomery is a cute town I'd like to explore - it reminds me of Worthington, OH.
#2 - Bad Bob’s
After the retirement conference at Owens on Saturday we needed to eat lunch before running errands. We decided to eat somewhere that was “new” to us, so we saw a sign we hadn’t noticed before (I’ve since been told it has been there about 9 months).
First impressions are hard to break from me – too bright, poor service – and that’s just while we’re waiting to be seated when they weren’t even busy! Its decorating has potential if they would just dim it down.
You all know I’m cheap - so I thought the prices were a bit steep. The food was good, but nothing to brag about. D had the “Big Hawg” pulled pork sandwich (it comes with NOTHING) and Pig Tails (curly fries). The flavoring of the meat was wonderful without any sauce – they cook in true Memphis barbecue style – dry rub. I didn’t like either of their liquid barbecue sauces – see what I mean about being a “barbecue snob”.
My “Brunswick Stew” was excellent! I’d never had it made with pulled pork before (chicken in my recipe), but it was a good blend of tasty flavors that worked well together.
Happy Eating! ~~K

5 comments:

  1. You are a BBQ snob!:o) I still think you make some of the best sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you had City BBQ? It's a chain but pretty tasty - they have all different sauces you can try. You order and pick up at a counter so it's cheap and casual. They are opening one up down the street from us (there are already several others around Cbus).

    ReplyDelete
  3. D's company has had several luncheons catered by City BBQ, but I've never eaten their food. D says it ranks near the top, but it's not the best. I'm led to believe he's still voting our home-cooked BBQ as #1. I'll have to try City 'Q sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about the BBQ - you've spoiled me with your home cooked BBQ! I especially like your "country style" boneless ribs that you used to make. (Well you probably still make them, I'm just not there to enjoy!)

    During R's brief stint as a food critic, City Q was one of the places that he reviewed. We were big fans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha I can totally see Randy as a food critic!

    Oh, hmm, maybe we need to have a BBQ the next time we are in town. A half marathon BBQ perhaps? :)

    ReplyDelete