Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Wednesday Wanderings

It’s spring break from school and I’ve been in a strange, foul mood! I’m thinking it’s due to the horrible weather, wondering about the future of my employment, as well as concern about family member health issues. But Wednesday was a fun day!

I started the day by joining my sister R for breakfast at Scrambler Marie's in Pburg (I still think that is a STUPID name – they should have remained Café Marie). I not only enjoyed eating my meal, but was proud of myself for being healthy and reasonable:
Oatmeal with brown sugar and blueberries was tasty and filling; I didn’t even put the milk/cream on it.

My side dish of seasonal fruit was a nice addition. I had already enjoyed my cup of coffee at home with D, so I just had water.
We then drove by some old home sites – I say “sites” because there is nothing there anymore! I didn’t think it was worth taking pictures of empty lots on two of my childhood addresses – South and Leland. We also drove by the spots/houses where our grandparents had lived – I should have taken pictures there (if only in the interest of future generations – maybe that’s another blog some day).

We were down to only three good glasses, so one of the purposes of the day was to take advantage of R’s 30% discount at Libbey and restock the cupboard. Or should I say “freezer” – as most of you know, we store our “flare” glasses on the bottom rack of the freezer door.
Before arriving back home additional stops were made at Aldi, Meijer, Dollar Tree, Target, Michael's, Home Depot, Dollar General, and Black Diamond. Most of those stops were just “window shopping”. I like shopping in the CrossRoads area of Rossford/PBurg because there are so many stores close to each other.

I had been looking at rosemary plants, but the price range was $2.98-3.49 for one plant! I felt like I had hit the jackpot today at Black Diamond in Pburg. This was the first time I had been there and realized I had a false impression of their prices – I had expected them to have higher prices than Lowe’s on common plants. Was I ever wrong! Rosemary plants (and other herbs) were only 89 cents! Granted, they were a bit smaller than the $3.48 ones; but I couldn’t resist.
Italian parsley, basil, and thyme also ended up being purchased at those prices. Now I just have to keep them alive!

The other day I had purchased seeds - curly parsley, basil, snow peas, and spearmint. Today I added zucchini, yellow crookneck squash, tendergreeen beans, turnips, lima beans, Italian parsley, and butternut squash. Waiting until Memorial Day weekend to plant has to be preceeded by getting the garden ready - Mother Nature has to do her part too - she sure let me down this week of spring break!

My Wednesday wanderings have ended - what does tomorrow hold? ~~K

3 comments:

  1. Did you know Cafe Marie has become a chain? We have Scramblers all over down here in Cbus!

    What kind of green beans do you plant: Bush or vines? I want to do green beans but haven't decided if a bush or trying to get the vine to climb would be best.

    The empty lots make me a little sad for the houses but Matthew and I both have dreams of turning 309 into a community garden (I literally had a dream and then told him about it and he had been thinking about it)- I guess we both have to relocate first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plant bush beans because they are easier for me to work with - especially at the end of the season if I have to clean a "trellis" as well as the ground.

    309 plans are interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks for the tip-- I stopped by black diamond and picked up the herbs for easter gift for the neighbors! Whatta deal!

    ReplyDelete