Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Glass City Marathon 2009

… It’s taken me several days to finally post this, so you can take several days to read it. I broke up my wordiness into 5 “chapters” – too much verbose and ranting to read at once! Chapters include: Expo and Pick-Up, Pre-Race, 5k Race, Half Marathon, and Post Race

Expo and Pick-up
…Glass City Marathon – Part 1

Race packets which consisted or our bib, chip, map, and shirt were ready for us the day before the race and contrary to everything we had been told to date, included NO goodies – nada, nothing! There weren’t even final instructions, and the ones B picked up from a table were not very clear.
I had hoped that running clothing and accessories would abound at the expo. Boy, was I wrong! What a wimpy joke of an expo! No coupons or special offers of any kind from vendors!

The socks B was interested in were only available for men but they said they had them at their store (which was on our way home). Can you guess? By the time we arrived at their store, they had sent someone with all the women’s socks to the “expo” and had not kept any at their Pburg store!

It was a beautiful day to be out and I enjoyed our time together with B, M, & S.

Hopefully, if we do this next year, the organizers will be more efficient and detailed.

Pre-Race
…Glass City Marathon – Part 2

Low-key as in DEAD was how we found T-town 70 minutes before the start of the race! Compared to Toledo’s Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure – what a let-down.
That early, it was already turning into a beautiful sunny day (not as forecast). By 8 am it was in the 70’s – this was much warmer than most of us have been training in outside lately. As I watched the “early start” marathoners take off I was wondering how they would do and certainly give them credit for being willing to run more than 5 hours (I heard they would be disqualified if they finished sooner).

Maybe I’m being unfair comparing it to the SGK Race for the Cure, since one is for charity and the other isn’t, but the difference in organization and attitude toward the runner is very noticeable. Many runners seemed very confused as to where “start” was located – even people who had run the marathon before – apparently they keep changing both the course and start locations. There were no officials or volunteers in sight to even ask – it was “runner help runner”. Is it because I’m such a novice and GCM assumes you’re a “real” runner if you enter an event? I can’t say enough about the friendliness, encouragement, and great attitude I felt from all the runners (and the police along the race course).

5k Race
…Glass City Marathon – Part 3

Unlike the Half and Full Marathon, there was no starting mat for us lowly 5k runners. I realize it is only a difference in a matter of seconds time-wise, but as far as I’m concerned it isn’t true chip timing if it does not do individual timing at both the start and finish. For the record, the “early start” marathoners did not have a start mat either.

Another course change? The map I was given yesterday had a different “start” than the latest one posted online, and after we were all in place at Adams and St. Clair we had to walk down to a totally new start position! That was ok with me – it took off a few extra blocks! But really, they couldn’t have worked all this out in advance and let us know?!
Within 2 minutes of the start I realized I had started too fast and my mouth was already dry. A swish of water helped (thanks to B for letting me borrow her hand-held water bottle) and I backed off. As usual, I thought the first mile was the longest. Nervousness about the course disappeared as the police had cross street traffic stopped and the Woodruff stretch was not as “ghetto” as I had anticipated.

Traffic was temporarily stopped on Monroe Street in both directions as we turned in front of the Art Museum. I must have been doing ok because the 2-mile marker came as a welcome surprise sooner than I anticipated. As the sweat was pouring I took another sip of water. I felt like I was slowing as the temperature was rising. Cars crossing a bit in front of me caused some concern but I refused to slow down more – in fact I increased my speed (just to be defiant?) and about that time the police again stopped the cross traffic and I darted forward.

Running in front of the Blarney Irish Pub gave me a sense of “good timing” since I knew the end was near. I slowed a bit on the downward slope to Water Street.

As I approached the finish I stepped up my pace. I forced myself to get ahead of at least one other woman. Success!
My official time (my husband caught the time as I passed the finish mat – see the "drawn-in" yellow arrow in the picture pointing to the top of my head) was 34:26. Good enough for 3rd place in my age group. Apparently the heat had slowed the pack – no one in my group was under 31 minutes! I was hoping for a better time (maybe even just under 30). Due to my face injury (last Saturday) I didn’t train this last week, and I’m not used to the heat yet. Can you tell I’m making excuses? I was glad my time was less than one minute off my Race for the Cure time.

D’s special “whistle” was a most welcome sound! Even though I didn’t see him right away, he had seen me (unlike at the SGK where we didn’t meet up for over 10 minutes). I have to commend him – he was the great “sports photographer” who took many “perfect” shots. I think he enjoys being our support team – that can sometimes be quite a job! Fewer spectators allowed him the ability to roam wherever he wanted without a crowd – one of the nice differences compared to the SGK.

Half Marathon
…Glass City Marathon – Part 4

Many of you know the initial reason I signed up for the 5k was because of my daughter. She wanted to run her “inaugural” half at the GCM Inaugural Half Marathon and we thought we would start the race together in downtown Toledo. Things changed!

She and my nephew (after some fun pressure) started their 13.1-mile journey in Perrysburg. Thanks to R for his support and transportation! Thanks to B for great photos and encouragement! Thanks to everyone for everything.
Both runners proved successful and I am so proud of them.



I am amazed at B persevering through pain for 3 miles! Read about their experiences first hand – B’s blogM’s blog.
Watching the half marathon runners as they passed the finish line was insightful – the different posture, strides, sweat level, etc. I have a lot to learn and practice!

Special love and thanks to my family for sticking it out through the end for each other. Priceless!

FYI – I have no intention of ever doing a half marathon!

Post Race
…Glass City Marathon – Part 5

No “goodies” after the race either. I’m spoiled – I want to run in an event with sponsors and vendors that give back to the community via “sample” booths.

Commemorative Mugs for the Half Marathon had not arrived in time for the race. All along the way I feel this race has not done much detail work and follow through – water stops were also not as frequent as indicated in all information that had been provided prior to the race.

A friend of mine ran in the Marathon Relay and has even more constructive criticism! Her top disappointment was about the relay exchanges – no porta-potties or water! Her team finished first in their division and the 5 women have to share one plaque – not even a “token” for each individual. Advice to race director – “Don’t advertise things that aren’t going to happen!”

I’m still awaiting an answer to an email I sent the race director. I’m not holding my breath! ~~K

3 comments:

  1. My Mom has a whole bag of SWAG from Texas if that would make you feel a little better :) It will be interesting to see how the Komen expo is in Cbus since you have spoken so highly of the Toledo race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the perfect re-cap!

    It was disappointing not starting out together, but at least everything seemed to turn out well. Your run was so fantastic - congrats #3!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I'm just now finding all these blogs you've posted. In spite of the TRR's mishaps, you raced like a champ, and I know B and I were well pleased with our efforts as well! It was great seeing you guys after the race.

    ReplyDelete